There are a few DO’s & DON’TS when preparing for Cosmetic Injectables to ensure the best possible outcome for your treatment. Some supplements can impact on how your body responds to cosmetic injectable treatments, in particular, to bruising and/or bleeding.
Ideally we would like you to STOP taking the following about 1 week before your Dermal Fillers:
- Fish Oils, Omega 3’s
- Vitamin E & D
- Anti-inflammatories; Nurofen, Voltaren, Aspirin, St Johns Wort
- Green Teas or Peppermint Teas, alcohol
- And minimize your intake of; garlic, onions, ginger, prunes, berries, oranges, tomatoes, raisins, and vinegar
- Flu vaccination 1 – 2 weeks prior to your treatment
How to get a good experience with your Cosmetic Injectables:
Ensure you are fit and well.
- If you are feeling unwell, call to reschedule your appointment. You do not want to have a cough, cold or sinus issue, or cold sores when getting injectables.
- Also if you have a chest infection, it is not safe to have treatment as this can increase your risk of adverse complications.
Come in with clean, make up free skin
Allow adequate cool-down time between your workouts and your injectables appointment
- If you come to your appointment straight after the gym, ensure you are well hydrated, showered and cooled down.
- There is increased risk of bruising when you are hot and flushed at the time of injectables, which is why we recommend not to do any intense physical activity for 24 hours post injectables.
Eat well and drink plenty water
Post Dermal Filler Treatment recommendations:
- It is normal to experience some tenderness/ redness or swelling during the first 24-48 hours
- Use Bepanthen as a protective barrier as it has antiseptic and soothing properties
- Use cool compress to reduce any swelling or bruising
- Keep your skin clean, ensure you wash your hands adequately in needing to touch the treatment area
- Mineral makeup is Okay to use the next day of your treatment
- Arnica, available from your pharmacy, is helpful in reducing and healing bruising. It can be applied 3 days prior to your treatment and 3-6 days post your treatment to accelerate the healing and bruising process
Best practice AFTER your Dermal Filler Injectables
- Drink plenty of water as hyaluronic acid loves water
- Avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours as alcohol increases your risk of bruising
- Do not use active ingredients in your skin care for 1 week
- Do not engage in strenuous exercise for 72 hours
- No facials, chemical peels or any other dermal therapies, threading etc for 2 weeks post treatment
- No flying for 2 weeks as pressure changes on long flights can affect results and increase swelling
- No spa/saunas for 1 week
- Use SPF 50+ sunscreen at all times
- Avoid extreme hot or cold temperatures
Any concerns with your Cosmetic Injectables treatment, please be sure to call your Clinician. Typically, a follow up appointment should be made 2-3 weeks after your first injectables treatment. Once swelling has settled, any lumps or bumps under the skin can be massaged out.
The following reactions are very rare, but it is a good idea to know about them and should contact your clinician immediately:
- Pain at the injection site that is persistent, throbbing or appears to be getting worse
- Heat, redness or ‘angry’ appearance at/near injection site
- Tingling, numbness or altered sensation
- Discolouration of the skin
- Visual disturbances